Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-55W755C will not recognize a FireStick HDMI, black screen, volume works, home button works......

profile.country.GB.title
KakkerlakJ
Explorer

KDL-55W755C will not recognize a FireStick HDMI, black screen, volume works, home button works......

Hi there, problem started a few days ago, 2-3 weeks after latest firmware update - YouView app was selected, and the screen went black, no EPG. Netflix / Prime / Youtube works - internet works with its new Orange App icon

So rebooted tv various ways, selected YouView and EPG showed up with blank spaces where normally there would be programme info; disabled Youview and used Discover to select Freeview which had the same problem, which would suggest a problem with aerial. Selected Youview app and was prompted to reinstall when app was selected, but after agreeing to terms and then Sony message saying 'will now go through setup' press OK and then black screen.

Tried a Fire TV in HDMI port out of interest - HDMI box recognises FireStick, says Firestick next to HDMI2 icon - select icon and black screen - every time HOME works to go back to Homepage - searched for anoter update which is a never ending searching with no "No updates found", again HOME cancels this to homepage.

Wondered if anyone else has this problem - wondering about factory reset, but as searching for updates doesnt end, or doesnt tell me it's finished looking I am hesitant. 

Any advice appreciated, thanks

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

There must be an app update that has not gone down very well. Nothing to worry about. The easiest, fastest and most reliable solution to get everything back working as before is to do a Factory Data Reset. You can launch it from Home > Settings > Storage and reset > Factory Data Reset

Be aware that the process might take as long as 20-30 minutes and should not be interrupted in any way. After that you will need to setup your Google and all other app accounts. Apps that you previously had downloaded will need to be downloaded and installed again. If you have personalised your audio and picture settings, you must take a note of them before you do the reset.

In the event that you don't have access to the Factory Data Reset option in the menu as mentioned above, please post back for an alternative approach. 

profile.country.GB.title
KakkerlakJ
Explorer

Thanks for the reply, so just wondering from your comment, aswell as the major firmware update for the new Nougat, that was rolled out, are apps etc also being updated, fixes being constantly pushed out in between?

I will try this resetting business in the next few days... and reply back - thanks again

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Your question is not entirely clear for me. Could you elaborate a bit more on that please?

I certainly will be happy if you kept us posted on the matter.

profile.country.GB.title
KakkerlakJ
Explorer

What I mean is, is that the main firmware updated a few weeks ago, which I installed, and everything had been fine for a couple of weeks up until a few days ago

But your answer originally suggested that an app update may be the cause of this. I was just wondering then, if app updates are sent through separately to the main firmware update at irregular intervals perhaps to fix bugs in certain apps?

But then if the above is not the case, then what I still do not understand, is why selecting a freeview service built into the tv somewhere, which works only when Youview is disabled, or selecting the app from Youview shown on the home screen, or an HDMI input with a fire stick (which works with other tvs in the house) when selected, all produce the same outcome which is a black screen?

Plus if I am searching for an update on the TV, why it doesnt tell me I have the upto date version? Just continuously searches without end, and finds nothing. I'm just not very confident in Sony thats all.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

I understand your concerns. Your TV has the latest firmware, since you updated just a few weeks ago. The update has been successful since it has been working fine in these few weeks. However except for the firmware, there are numerous other apps (e.g. YouView, Samba Interactive, Sony Account Manager, etc.) that require to be updated on a more frequent basis than the TV firmware update cycle. By reading your problem description I believe that the update process for potentially one or more of these apps has not gone down well.

The Google Play Store app is the place where you can verify which apps have been recently updated, but as well the place to change the app auto-update setting to ON or OFF so you can manually update all apps yourself.

In any case, as I mentioned earlier, there is nothing to be concerned about. Whether you have a Sony TV or not, software will always be present, and by design, software requires also maintenance and repairs (read firmware updates) just like your vehicle really.

Before trying the Factory Data Reset to resolve this issue, try to verify if performing the following will be sufficient to resolve your problem.

1. On your remote control, press the HELP button.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Select Configuring the TV.
  4. Select [TV].
  5. Select Jump to the Setting Screen.
  6. Select Apps.
  7. Select System software update app.
  8. Select Clear Data.

Also to answer your other question regarding the continuous search for an update returning no result; at the moment your TV is exhibiting software related issues. Which means that as long as the state is not restored back to functional, you could expect irregularities.

profile.country.GB.title
KakkerlakJ
Explorer

Many thanks

profile.country.GB.title
KakkerlakJ
Explorer

In the end I factory reset the TV - again, no confidence in this product, so I select factory reset... and behold the TV can use the YouView app to give me a television picture

Had to wait for nothing to happen as the TV just switched itself off and then I dared to turn it on using the remote

I've now switched off automatic updates...

Will that stop it from breaking on it's own, who knows?

Just waiting for it to break again... which i guess should be Sony's new slogan

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi Kakkerlak,

Very good to hear you are enjoying your TV again and the troubles are over. And thank you for posting back your results.

As I mentioned before I understand your concerns when things abruptly stop working on the TV. Just want to assure you that as long as there is someone that breaks it, there will be someone that fixes it too. So don’t hesitate to visit the forum again if you encounter issues. We will be here to help.

Cheers,

Dutchice