Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S4200 - Won't play Blu-ray discs

BDP-S4200 - Won't play Blu-ray discs

Hi everyone,

I have this Sony BDP-S4200 Blu-ray player about a year now, It has played both DVDs and USB files without any problem.

I've recently purchased  2 copies of Star Wars - The Force Awakens from 2 different vendors (Lidl and Tesco) over the past week and the player has given me messages on both occassions that the disc is not playable.

I've updated the firmware via USB (version M20.R.0164) - still no joy! 

This is the first time the player has encountered a Blu-ray disc, If anyone has any ideas on how to get this to work I would really appreciate it!

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Have you tried to reset your player?

How to perform a reset

• Open the HOME menu on your BD player using your remote control

• Navigate left until you reach the SETUP (Toolbox Icon)

• Scroll down to the bottom of that list until you reach RESETTING then press enter on your remote

• Follow the on-screen prompts and choose reset ALL settings

This will take just a few seconds to complete and you will receive an on-screen confirmation message if successful. Now turn off your BD player then restart it once more. This will launch the initial setup screen as if the device was new, here you will be asked to select Language Preferences and perform Network Setup etc... Once these are completed try playing a blu-ray disc again.

---------------------

If the above does not help check to see if your warranty still valid?

The issue of BD discs not playing on certain devices is talked about quite a lot on the Sony US forums as yet there doesn't appear to be an identifiable solution except to return the player for an exchange. I appreciate this may not be an option if your warranty has expired.

Let us know if it does help.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14

HI MK_Slinky,

Thanks for detailing the steps required. Unfortunately, this didn't work!

I guess my next step is to try find the receipt. It seems to be a fault with the player :angry:

All the best

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Thanks for the update, sorry my advice didn't help.

Fingers crossed your warranty is still valid, failing that perhaps you can get the device repaired locally. You can find your nearest Sony repair centre using the support links at the top of this page.

Good luck!

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14