Join now - be part of our community!

BDV-N5200W - Unit not responding while viewing Amazon movies

dunk1103
New

BDV-N5200W - Unit not responding while viewing Amazon movies

The unit allows a film to be selected via Amazon and the film plays but the remote doesn't allow pausing, REW or FFW etc. At the end of the film the only why to return to the HOME screen is to unplug the unit from the wall and allow it to reset.

The remote's batteries are obviously fine as it selects the film etc OK and the STANDBY button works to switch the unit off. The unit was bought in Dec 14.

I assume this isn't normal operating for the unit and I need to know how to get full use back!

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi there,

You might find the below link interesting to a post I created on the Amazon Community. 

Amazon Prime / Instant Video Causing Sony Blu-ray Players to Crash or Freeze

This issue is known about by Sony and was reported as far back as 31 October 2014 on the Sony US forums. The issue effects so many models including my own and thus far Sony Support staff are burying their heads in the sand that the problem even exists.

I've had an open support case with Sony since last October (2015) and it took them so long to reach any decision my manufacturers warranty expired! Sony are now telling me that the device needs repairing but as a number of people have already replaced their devices with brand new replacements which exhibit the same issue I'm doubtful Sony even know how to fix the problem. 

I have asked Sony to test one of their own players with the Amazon app but in typical Sony Support fashion they ignore the question. 

As you will notice from my Amazon post I do have an open dialog with them at present together with several others customers, as yet though it's unclear if the issue is fixed or not. I have managed to play three movies via the app (instant rentals) without crashing occuring however another customer reports otherwise.

It might be prudent to add your support and contact both Sony & Amazon about this issue. By all means mention my post here or the one on the Amazon Community website. I hope we can count on you also? :wink:

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
dunk1103
New

Ah OK - would appear that this would considered a fault that Sony would hope will die away as units age and customers simply replace for new. 

Thanks for the response which although doesn't solve the fault is one I'll make use of and lend you support for sure.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@dunk1103

Yes I entirely agree with your first paragraph, though whether customers will chance buying another Sony after experiencing this issue remains to be seen. For me personally it's put me off the Sony brand and especially after reading all the other problems people have with Sony BD Players.

Please do add your support to my post on the Amazon Community website, I don't think many people have found it yet and so the more support from customers like you the merrier.

If I might add an update on my last reply, I can now confirm that the issue is NOT fixed and my player crashed on the fourth film that I hired from Amazon. To add to this I have also now experienced a similar issue whereby my player won't power ON and no buttons on the remote work at all including the power button on the front of the machine. Unplugging the player and then restoring power again did rectify the issue but for how long I can't say. This seems to be a new problem. Interestingly I hadn't been using the Amazon app prior to this issue.

Please come back with any new developments, it's always interesting to hear other peoples experiences with these players.

Thanks

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
dunk1103
New

Further feedback eventually arrived from Sony who I had sent a lengthy explanation of the clearly numerous issues being experienced by Sony owners. Not surprisingly their response was along the lines of "there's no fault with our range and it must be your unit!" They kindly sent me a link to local repairers!

At what stage does do Sony actual hold their hands up and acknowledge there is an issue? 

Bit disillusioned with Sony who I thought would be a reliable brand.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Yes I had much the same response from Sony, it took almost six months for them to reach a decision by which time my warranty had conveniently expired. Thankfully I extended my warranty to 5 years through my retailer and so if it does quit working I'll get a replacement, it won't be a Sony that's for sure!

Your device doesn't need repairing.., the issue is with the app and Amazon have already admitted they can't fix the issue at their end until Sony supply the correct tools to fix it. I recorded all my conversations with Amazon and have all this on record. You might as well bang your head against a brick wall when dealing with Sony Support, they won't ever acknowledge a fault exists and therefore we could be waiting for ever more. Sony Support are not the most knowledgeable of people, they're nothing more than hired help based in some far away country. Experience will tell you that they have no interest in solving problems or providing customer satisfaction. Sony Support are the bad eggs in the box.., get rid of them and maybe things would improve. 

Talking from my own experience with the Sony brand, no they're not reliable at all. In fact they're anything but! I have two relatively new Sony devices and both have issues, the blu-ray player being the worst. Sometimes it even shuts down for no apparent reason and sometimes it won't even power on, add to this the growing number of apps which no longer work you could say the future longevity of this product is not looking too good.

It's all very well producing a product and marketing it to say it can access various streaming services, but if you don't provide support when things go wrong what's the point? Almost all complaints about Sony blu-ray players mention the same thing, if it's not the app which fails to work it's the other very common issue where the player won't play a blu-ray or DVD. The US forums are swamped in such reports.

Good luck anyway, lets hope that Sony develops a conscience and starts listening to their customers, it's been long over-due.