Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDP-S4100 SACD Hiss

Sony BDP-S4100 SACD Hiss

Hi,

I recently purchased a Sony BDP-S4100 Blu Ray Player. I want to use it to play SACDs in multi channel in DSD mode. I connect it to a Yamaha AV Receiver (RX-v477) which supports DSD via HDMI. However, when playing multi channel SACDs in DSD format and using the 'Straight' option on the AV receiver there is a noticeable level of hiss on each track (I've tried a number of different SACDs, all were recorded digitally recently). If I use the AV Receiver's 'Direct' mode it looses the hiss. Do you know what might be causing this?

Regards,
Simon

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im not familiar with your AV Reciever, so consulted its manual on what the difference is between straight and direct...

_20160317_214530.JPG

_20160317_214600.JPG

Im assuming this 'hiss' is introduced somewhere in the AV Reciever, which this direct mode resolves.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am aware of what the direct mode does but I can't comprehend why there would be that much hiss in straight mode when it does not do this from other digital sources. For example if I set the blu ray player to downmix SACDs to PCM the hiss goes away. I think it is because the direct mode turns off the tone controls (i.e. the parametric equaliser (PEQ) that is configured when doing the auto setup Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimiser (YPAO)). If I turn this equaliser off, or turn on the GEQ equaliser, in straight mode the hiss goes away. Regards, Simon