Join now - be part of our community!

Sony UBP-X800 ultra HD 4k blu ray player problem playing 4K movies

profile.country.GB.title
Loganlea2000
Explorer

Sony UBP-X800 ultra HD 4k blu ray player problem playing 4K movies

Good evening

Recently purchased a new Sony 65" 4k TV, and i have added the Sony UBP-X800 ultra HD 4k blu ray player.

I have purchased 4 x 4k  Ultra HD blu ray movies

I have played/watched with no problems 2 out of the 4.

Both Planet earth 2 & (spiderman home coming "this came free with the player') played ..with no problems.

I also purched The martian 4k ultra HD & Close encounters 4k Ultra HD

Had problems playing both these movies.

The Martian, stuttered for about 5min in the middle of the film, but then came good.

On Close encounters, about 1hr into the movie, it just stopped dead )frozen.

This resulted in the blu ray player freezing then restarting on its own.

Having  googled  this problem/issue, it would appear this player seems to have this problem quite a bit.

Has anyone had the same issues that could offer any help ?

It has been updated to the latest software, and i  selected the default settings when setting up, as this seems the most apropriate, The new 4k HDMI cable is also set to enhanced to allow the 4k.

I didnt expect to have these issues with the cost of this player.

I have only had it less than a week (purchased from John Lewis)

Could this be a fault, and should i be looking at returning, or is this something sony is aware of which will be fixed with a firmware update ?

Best Regards

Tom

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
Powerman1960
Explorer

I don't know of a fix for this issue but I to have the same problem. Its appears to be the latest 4K disc are having problems playing. Captain Marvel and Avengers Endgame skip terribly. I can't even watch the movie. I had to put in the Blu Ray disc instead. That's not what I paid for.

profile.country.GB.title
Finman2

See above!  Some are LEMONS.  Exchange it.

profile.country.GB.title
Powerman1960
Explorer

I have this same problem. It will not play my 4K disc. The firmware is up to date. What i want to know is what is Sony going to do about it. I already have 3 blu ray players I don't need a forth.

dholsen
New

Are you guys using an ACRAM receiver? I'm on my second Sony UBP-X800M2 player running with a new ARCAM AVR-550. It will randomly lockup to the point that I have to unplug it to remove the disc. The player will work perfectly if I take the receiver out of the loop. My local dealer had his tech call me and he said it is almost guaranteed a compatibility issue between the two. He said there were no alerts from Sony that they are aware of the problem, or working on any updates. 

Mark.Ell
Explorer

As soon as lockdown is over, my X800mk2 is being returned. I bought it in January and in March it started to lock up mid (blu ray) disk play. This has progressively become more frequent and now the player will not even load to main start menu for uhd disks, with many blu ray disks not progressing through 10 minutes of film play without the machine locking and only being resolved by a hard power off at wall.

Oh, and the HOME menu is now unreachable, so I can't even reset the unit

profile.country.AU.title
boatsbeatwork
Explorer

Don’t buy another Sony .
Best bet is an oppo or xbox one x
Awesome both

Kind Regards
Stuart Ambrose
profile.country.GB.title
Finman2

I had a lemon.  Exchanged it.  All fine now.  Sony should get a grip of their quality control.

profile.country.GB.title
ChrisH440
Explorer

I bought this player in late August 2022 and bought quite a few 4K films, some of which play fine with no issues.  I did also buy the Back To The Future trilogy on 4K and found that part 1 and two stick ROUGHLY 30 minutes from the end of each film.  The picture freezes for a few seconds and when it plays again, it's missed several minutes of the film.  

The same fault happens  with several films (including The Martian, Batman Begins, Star Trek 1, Wonder Woman, Man of Steel).  

I've tried everything I have been suggested.  I have made sure the system has the latest update, changed HDMI cable & even exchanged player, but the same fault keeps happening.  It's literally a pot luck of putting a film on & wondering "Will this one stick too?"  All I expect is a player to work first time without an issue!  My spare time is limited & I don't need the hassle!  

profile.country.GB.title
Elodin

Hi, in the reference guide on page 10, it says that in order to enjoy 4K Ultra HD 60p content, you need to connect the player to your 4K TV using Premium High Speed HDMI Cable or High Speed HDMI Cable that supports 18 Gbps bandwidth, 4K output requires a compatible 4K display which has HDCP2.2 capable HDMI input and if you use BRAVIA TV that supports 4K60p, set the TV’s “HDMI signal format” setting to “Enhanced format”.  If it is still the same, try to reset the player to factory settings from page 25 here. I hope this helps.