Join now - be part of our community!

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

Several members seem to have problems with their CD/DVD drives at the moment. As far as I know, there is no magic solution but you could try some or all of the following: -

1. See if there is an updated driver or updated firmware for your drive at Vaio-Link. Some Sony drives are re-badged from other manufacturers and you may have to search for updated downloads. For example, if you have a Sony DW-D56A drive, you can get a firmware download from HERE (Use PFS2). Many other drives are also supported on this site.

2. Use System Restore to return your Vaio to the configuration when it was last working normally.
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore - choose a restore date before you had the problem.

3. Look in Device Manager to see if there are any errors against your DVD/CD-ROM drive.
Start -> Right-Click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager - expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives and check the status. If there is an Error Code or a yellow triangle with a ! or ? come back here with the number and we may be able to help.

4. If there is no error and the drive is reported as working normally, try Uninstalling the drive by right-clicking on it in Device Manager and choosing Uninstall. Re-booting your Vaio will reinstall the drivers.

5. Try some different software to read/write your discs and see if that works. Also try a different brand of discs - Sony, TDK and Verbatim seem favourites.

6. Try a liquid lens cleaner on the lens and polish with a microfibre cloth ? this can sometimes help.

7. If your drive works with either CDs or DVDs only make sure the ribbon cable is not preventing the reader head from moving freely - check that the laser head in the drive can move freely for the whole range of its travel. The disc information is held on the outside tracks for DVDs and the inner tracks for CDs.

8. Last resort is to perform a full C:\ Drive System Recovery from your Recovery Discs. Make sure you back up all your Data as the contents of C:\ will be lost and your Vaio returned to the factory configuration.

If none of these work, you may have a hardware problem and you need to contact Vaio-Link. There is no point contacting them until you have carried out a Drive C:\ Recovery as this is the first thing they will ask you to do.

:wink:

403 REPLIES 403
lee1973
Visitor

Hello sorry if this request as already been noted via some other user,but i have had my VGN-AR31S for 3weeks, bought blue ray dvd's on playback i get stuttering play,and lose of sound,also the lip movement and sound are out of sync with each other? I have updated the driver via the self repair, but with no luck?
Any suggestions please, thanks in advance
Lee

Hello Guys, i have decided to cut my losses and and bought powerdvd £60.
Had no playback probs since,i will be pursuing Sonystyle Europe for costs to replaceing the drive,as they seem to not have a clue as to why it doe's not work, and should not be selling an item thats not 100% in working order..

Had i know the problems that exsist with this Notebook, i would have gone to another brand.

Lee1973.

p.s Thanks to Blencogo for all your help..

golfmag
Visitor

Can anyone help me please, I am going bonkers:

- I have a Vaio FE28H, with was purchased with XP

- I installed Vista Ultimate and have also loaded all Vista drivers from Sony website

- For the last week or so, my dvd drive has been playing up

- When I try to back up 9using Windows back-up, Roxio or Norton 360), I cannot do so, getting various error messages along the lines of "the disc acnnot be read", disk is not UDF media" etc etc. DVDs can be read/plyed etc fine, it is just that no backup function works

- this problem seems to have appeared at about the same time that I downloaded Roxio Creator 9, which I have since uninstalled

- one other interesting point - the XP dvd driver was a pioneer one, but the driver is now a sony one. I have tried uninstalling the driver from device manager but it is always the sony driver that re-installs.

Help would be apprecaited as I need to backup my data.

Many thanks

giannis_mgr
Visitor

i thought i had a problem with my G520A so i made a firmware update from a japan site of vaio of course from GFS1 to GFS3 so since then everytime i start up it prompts me to install the correct drivers for the harware!in my device manager i see everything ok and i burn just fine,what can i do?

CemB
Visitor

Hi all,
I have also a cd-rom problem. I can't write any cd and read cds which is written bysomeone. If I use a factory written cd like driver cds I can read them. I don't know why it happens like this. Also I have problems with dvd writing.I can use maximum 2x speed. And it gives often errors. I tried different dvds but still same.
This problem happens after I installed the recent drivers from vaio website. I want to uninstall them but they came back when I restart the computer.
Once I read that there is a problem with one of the drivers. It makes some problems with the optical driver.But I forgot which driver was it 😞
At vaio update page I can't update Memory Stick Driver 2.0.4.3. It says "not necessary(no aktuel device found)".
how can I fix this problem? I want to read write cds again :((
I have a vgn-fs315h
by the way at device manager there isn't any error code. Devices looks working properly.
thanksss

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

I'd get very drunk cem and pass out and fall down....hehehe

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

:thinking:

Hi Cem,

What Driver Update did you install..?

Have you tried a system restore to a point before you updated the drivers..

tonybeard
Explorer

Opps I just realised it's the wrong cem ...the cem from our fabulous meeting is Brussels...excuse moi

CemB
Visitor

:thinking:

Hi Cem,

What Driver Update did you install..?

Have you tried a system restore to a point before you updated the drivers..

thanks for the fast reply
I just installed the drivers that vaio update showed to me.
BIOS Update R0084J1
Memory Stick Driver 2.0.4.3(I think this one had a problem with my MATSHITA)
Intel Wireless LAN Driver 10.5.1.59a
Firmware update for MATSHITA UJ840D optical drive 1.03

and also the program updates
Click to DVD 2.4.12.14100
Click to DVD 2.5.32.08000
VAIO Help and Support Center Update 2.1.1.00
Wireless LAN Starter 1.0.03.02070
PictureGear Studio 2.0.22
SonicStage 4.3.01.14050
SonicStage Mastering Studio 1.4.04.05151
Sony Utilities 6.4.0.06290
VAIO Edit Components 6.2.00.13300
VAIO Event Service 2.3.00.08110
VAIO Media Integrated Server 3.1/4.x/5.0 1.0.00.42120
VAIO Update 3.0.00.13220

Yesterday I got bored with this cd writing and reading problem and I used recovery tool to install my C: again. After that vaio update found some other updates and I installed them. I had a problem with Memory Stick Driver 2.0.4.7 update. It says this update is not necessary and can not be done (wrote something like this :slight_smile: ). But my vaio update stills shows me Memory Stick Driver 2.0.4.7 as not updated.

I can't use system restore because I can't go to a time point at which I had the original drivers :slight_frown:

I can't find a solution to fix this problem. I want to write and read cds again :slight_frown:

So there is another cem who likes drinking :tongue:

tonybeard
Explorer

Yes indeed Cem via taxi to the flemish area of Belgium was a wild man...please accept my apolgies...but he was a top bloke

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Cem,

Do a full system restore again, once completed try write and read CD's before installing any updates..

If your CD/DVD drive does not work after a system restore it could indicate a hardware problem.. :slight_frown: