Join now - be part of our community!

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

Several members seem to have problems with their CD/DVD drives at the moment. As far as I know, there is no magic solution but you could try some or all of the following: -

1. See if there is an updated driver or updated firmware for your drive at Vaio-Link. Some Sony drives are re-badged from other manufacturers and you may have to search for updated downloads. For example, if you have a Sony DW-D56A drive, you can get a firmware download from HERE (Use PFS2). Many other drives are also supported on this site.

2. Use System Restore to return your Vaio to the configuration when it was last working normally.
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore - choose a restore date before you had the problem.

3. Look in Device Manager to see if there are any errors against your DVD/CD-ROM drive.
Start -> Right-Click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager - expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives and check the status. If there is an Error Code or a yellow triangle with a ! or ? come back here with the number and we may be able to help.

4. If there is no error and the drive is reported as working normally, try Uninstalling the drive by right-clicking on it in Device Manager and choosing Uninstall. Re-booting your Vaio will reinstall the drivers.

5. Try some different software to read/write your discs and see if that works. Also try a different brand of discs - Sony, TDK and Verbatim seem favourites.

6. Try a liquid lens cleaner on the lens and polish with a microfibre cloth ? this can sometimes help.

7. If your drive works with either CDs or DVDs only make sure the ribbon cable is not preventing the reader head from moving freely - check that the laser head in the drive can move freely for the whole range of its travel. The disc information is held on the outside tracks for DVDs and the inner tracks for CDs.

8. Last resort is to perform a full C:\ Drive System Recovery from your Recovery Discs. Make sure you back up all your Data as the contents of C:\ will be lost and your Vaio returned to the factory configuration.

If none of these work, you may have a hardware problem and you need to contact Vaio-Link. There is no point contacting them until you have carried out a Drive C:\ Recovery as this is the first thing they will ask you to do.

:wink:

403 REPLIES 403
profile.country.GB.title
lyapple
New

Hi Mike,

If you look back through this thread you will find a simple solution to a Code 39 error.

http://club.vaio.sony.co.uk/clubvaio/GB/en/forum/viewthread?thread=39917

Blencogo

The man's a star. :clap: :clap: :clap: Even I managed to do it and as of 5 mins ago have a working optical drive again. Thanks Blencogo. :smileygrin:

leighheppell
Visitor

6. Try a liquid lens cleaner on the lens and polish with a microfibre cloth ? this can sometimes help.

This worked, first time, try it before all !!

EuTenhoumVAIO
Visitor

I`ve got a VGN_FZ19VN and i have a problem with my DVD drive! i need some assistance in this matter, can you help me? Thanks!!!!
Detailed problem description: my dvd drive(F:) doesn't read audio cds or any type of software cds! when i insert an audio cd the drive doesn't recognize him even when i start with any type of music software and press play the drive ejects the cd and ask me to put a cd on the drive! and it can't also be started automaticly by any music programs!
I followed almost all procedures and the drive doesn't read them!
Best Regards!!!!
Pedro Machado

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Pedro,

Sorry to hear about your DVD problem.

If there are no warnings in Device Manager and you have tried the other tips in this thread, it is time to either contact Sony Support here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/contacts/contacts.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&tp=vaio&cm=phone&cc=PT

Or take it back to the shop where you bought it and ask for an exchange.

:slight_frown:

eddc
Visitor

Hey there,

I've just purchased a new VGN-N31Z/W with a MATSHITA UJ-850S ATA CD/DVD drive.

The drive ejects most blank media, and when recording ejects at 70/80%.
(I have tried different brands)

When playing a audio cd, the drive starts to stick on the later songs, and the sound disappears.
(I have tried WMP and Sonic)

I have reinstalled the driver, but still no result.

Any ideas?
Do I have to return my computer?

Ed

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Ed and welcome.

If it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't it is usually the media type, a dirty lens or a dodgy drive.

If you are still getting a high failure rate with Sony, Verbatim or TDK discs then I would take it back and ask for a replacement.

:slight_frown:

eddc
Visitor

Thanks a lot.

I think it's got to go back.

The strange thing is,
that it's fine play at the end of a DVD,
but not cd.

Oh well!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Ed,

It is just worth opening the drive and sliding the laser head backwards and forwards to the full extremes of its travel. Make sure it is not sticking anywhere.

CDs and DVDs have their initial sectors in different places, so if one works and not the other it is worth checking that the head is not physically sticking somewhere in its travels.

eddc
Visitor

Thanks for the tip.

I've just tried it, but no luck.

I've just loaded a 23 song retail cd, and the last 2 songs display as unknown.

It won't play from track 20.

It sucks!

maheed
Visitor

Hi,
I have VGN FE11S model. the dvd drive is not burning any disks. if i insert a blank cd/dvd nothing is coming up and the both free and total size is coming up as 0. i tried opening the Roxio Digital media home and then the software is showing the size of the disk. but, when i tried to add data to the project software is going into non response mode. can anybody please help to resolve this problem

mahi.