Join now - be part of our community!

I have a Sony A6000 with sony 55-210 kit lens. I am generally disapointed with results at full zoom.

beauchiefs

I have a Sony A6000 with sony 55-210 kit lens. I am generally disapointed with results at full zoom.

10 REPLIES 10
RonanCantwell
Explorer

Have you any examples?

I've been using the same lens for a couple of weeks now after switching over from my old Canon DSLR kit and sigma lenses. It's been performing pretty well for me. It'll never be perfect at 210mm as that's one extreme of it's designed range. Most lower priced lenses suffer at the extremes of their ranges in my experience but this one is actually pretty good for the money. 

beauchiefs

Taken With Sel 18-200 lab.jpgens at full zoom cropped

beauchiefs

Taken with Sony Kit 55-210 lens croppedcc.jpg

beauchiefs

Both the previous photos I posted were taken at the same time from the same position one with the 55-210 kit lens, the other the Sony SEL 18-200 which I had the opportunity to test. I did not think the difference in quality warranted spending another £600. Opinions and thoughts welcome

Bieomax

What is the shutter speed on both? Where both of them handheld or tripoded?
profile.country.GB.title
DavidWHarrison

My latest posting 'Hoegh Osaka' was taken with the 55-210 (at 210mm) f8 1/800 hand held. Overcast .

profile.country.GB.title
DavidWHarrison

Following my previous reply I am very impressed with the performance (as good as my 7D but not so heavy!!)

beauchiefs

Sorry for delay replying I have been on holiday for 6 weeks.

The first pic was taken 1/250 the 2nd 1/200, both hand held and F7.1,  200 iso

profile.country.GB.title
chezjj
Explorer

Hi - I have made considerable use of the 55210 lens in 2015. In my experience it is a competent performing consumer lens but there are better performing lenses around that cost more, weigh more and  are bigger. A broadly similar Sony lens is the SEL70200G that has been designed for FF format cameras but also fits the a6000. It cost much more than ther 55-210. I have both as I also have the a7 that it fits perfectly.

Returning to the 55-210, I use this lens a lot for that focal range and I carry it in my small bag all the time. It is one of my most frequently used lenses. At the top end its performance would not match such lenses as the SEL70200G but frankly I capture more with it as I always have it with me. In terms of image sharpness I consider its sweet spot to be around f5.6 - f8. Given the relatively low noise level of the a6000 sensor, even at high ISO settings such as ISO 1600 there is no difficulty for me in capturing action or movement at high shutter speeds. In short, I find that it complements my a6000 for my shooting requirements and I would not be without it.