Join now - be part of our community!

A80J... BBC iPlayer "feature not available while...."

profile.country.GB.title
M1ck-65

A80J... BBC iPlayer "feature not available while...."

BBC iPlayer, ITV hub, both say "feature not available while recording"

So..... if I happen to be recording a channel on the TV and try and use either BBC iPlayer or ITV hub streaming apps I get this error.

Why is this. ?

33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.GB.title
E61DRC

More utter nonsense from a Sony apologist! My 8 year old Samsung TVs can record a broadcast program to USB while I watch a streaming app such as iPlayer as can my Humax Aura, which like my Sony TV uses Android. Series recording also works reliably on the Samsung TVs (and the Humax Aura). If Sony TVs are inferior to Samsung TVs then I cannot wait until Samsung start selling OLED and QD-OLED TVs. 

profile.country.GB.title
M1ck-65

@angelacr 

None of those are solutions ...... none

Point 1. Buying extra equipment to achieve what the TV should be able to do, is nothing but a copout work around.

The rest are certainly not very convenient and boardering on unethical.

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@M1ck-65Well you chuntering on with 'shoulds' and 'oughts' is going to change diddley-squat!

The suits have it sewn up - just as they did in the days of DVD players which would not play DVDs bought outside ones  geographic region.

The BBC need to sell programmes to other countries; thus they limit access to viewing, via their platform, to geographic UK and prevent prevent recording.

That is the way it is.

If you want to get round it you use one of the methods I've given you. If it is too hard, as I suspect it is for you, you'll, of course, make noises about it being 'unethical' to save face; it isn't. What is unethical is suits doing deals that limit my access to data that has been freely transmitted for the universe to intercept at some future time.

profile.country.GB.title
M1ck-65

@angelacr

Why so condescending?

It seems that you do not understand that I am NOT trying to record iPlayer.

I simply want to be able to record a channel from the TV's tuner and watch iPlayer at the same time. Just like you can on other devices, just like is described in Sony's own help pages

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@M1ck-65Ignoring your rudeness....

Understand this:  iPlayer, when in use stops the system from recording. It does this to protect iPlayer programmes from being recorded.

profile.country.GB.title
M1ck-65

@angelacr  🙂

Then,  one, why is it possible on most other devices, and two, says it's an option to do so in Sony's own help pages

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@M1ck-65 

Likely that those systems pre-date current iPlayer licensing agreements. Go around the mountain 'cause you'll never move it!

And your link makes no mention of iPlayer.

profile.country.GB.title
M1ck-65

@angelacr 

You said earlier, as one of your solutions was to buy another box.

So if I was to buy one of the new Freesat 4k boxes, (only just released) you are saying that I may still have this problem due to licensing agreements.

And there's still the point, of Sony's own help pages saying that it's possible. Or is that out of date too.

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@M1ck-65 

Sony's pages that you referenced make no mention of iPlayer. You are reading things that do not exist.

If you buy another box that has a recording facility you can record on that box any Freesat programme you like. You can watch iPlayer via your TV, at the same time, should you wish. The two systems are independent.

I have a Dreambox DM920 UHD bought from hm-sat.de running an openATV 7.0 image. My dish collects from  28.4E and 19.2 E so I can see Free To Air European programmes too. (Useful when F1 was FTA in Austria -sadly no longer). There are no licensing restrictions or clunky programme guides you get on 'freesat boxes' from the likes of Currys. The downside is non-mainstream boxes need setting up.

profile.country.GB.title
M1ck-65

@angelacr 

Sony's pages reference

"Allowing you to record one channel while watching another or still enjoy content from other inputs such as Blu-ray Discs, online streaming services"

Are you saying that iPlayer is not an online streaming service. Of course it is.