Join now - be part of our community!

A80J... BBC iPlayer "feature not available while...."

profile.country.GB.title
M1ck-65

A80J... BBC iPlayer "feature not available while...."

BBC iPlayer, ITV hub, both say "feature not available while recording"

So..... if I happen to be recording a channel on the TV and try and use either BBC iPlayer or ITV hub streaming apps I get this error.

Why is this. ?

33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@M1ck-65  Still no mention of iPlayer.  Advertising men puff their product- one expects that. So if it is not specifically mentioned you will not get it.  And remember the licensing agreement for iPlayer and the like only was finalized in December - how is any of  that earlier stuff relevant.

If you are looking for a satellite box, one of these may be worth a punt https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=satellite+receiver

And closer to home https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/

I think we've done this topic to death now, don't you?

profile.country.GB.title
M1ck-65

@angelacr 

There's no mention of any other streaming service either. So I am pretty sure that iPlayer falls under the streaming service category.

And no I don't think the topic is done. There's is no reasonable outcome. Just misdirections.

You can bow out gracefully, if you like.

Btw. This licensing agreement that you keep  refering to, have you a link I'd like to read it.

Tried Google, but all that comes up is just forums and people making assumptions on what is in it.

So... Can I please have a link to the one that you have read. If you don't mind.

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@M1ck-65 

Its called Digital Right Management. It has been around for at least 20 years. Are you only now getting to grips with it?

See here https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/10/mobile_drm.html It's talking about phones but it applies more generally across all platforms.

What I said very early on about the developers being over-enthusiastic still probably applies.

The underlying operating system is Google TV that will have at its heart software to run functions like showing programmes, running Apps and recording off air. These deep system functions are made accessible to developers via an Application Programming Interface. The API will only allow calls to the deep Google TV to be made through it. It seems that recording is a deep system call. My guess is that iPlayer takes a lock on recording API call but doesn't use it. Thus it stops everything else from recording.  This surely is done by design to enforce the BBC Digital Rights.

Contact Sony directly if you still have problems. This forum is a cleverly constructed site that allows punters to blow off steam and nobody needs ever to take notice. Have you noticed?

profile.country.GB.title
M1ck-65

@angelacr 

As I have said before, there's no need to be condescending.

You know exactly what I meant, this latest agreement between Sony and the BBC made December did you not say.

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@M1ck-65

?? What?

I totally cannot understand what you expect to happen? Do you want Google to ri-jig their API calls just for you? Not going to happen.

Do you want Sony to re-jig their user-interface to Google TV just for you? Not going to happen

Do you want the BBC to forego Digital Rights Management just for you? Not going to happen.

Do you want do nothing and watch iPlayer while recording TV? Never going to happen.

Me condescending? Why do I feel I'm talking to a child, is more a problem I have.

profile.country.GB.title
M1ck-65

@angelacr 

What are you chuntering on about now, another mis direction.

Fact remains Sony in their own help pages state this should be possible.

Other android TV can do this no problems. Nothing to do re jigging anything.

Why are you so adamant about defending Sony. Do you even own this TV.

And yes you... Condescending, talking down to people, as if they don't know anything about the subject.

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@M1ck-65 

I recognise when a mountain is immoveable and find ways around it. I suggest you do to. And please don't get abusive with me it is totally unnecessary and does you little credit.

Have a good evening.

profile.country.GB.title
M1ck-65

@angelacr 

retour à vous.....lol

profile.country.GB.title
E61DRC

@angelacr You really are totally clueless and talking nonsense about DRM. I have a Humax Aura that runs Android like Sony TVs and it can record 4 TV programs from the Freeview tuners while I watch iPlayer or any other catch-up app.

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@E61DRC 

<private aside>[God, give me strength! Another blow-hard.]</private aside>

Dear E61DRC,

I am very happy for you. Owning a Humax Aura must have enriched your life beyond one's meagre imaginings. If you search your little box I don't think you will find mention of YouView. Its licensing agreement is FreeView Play methinks.

You may remember that the Sony A80j was released in the Summer. It was not until Christmas that the deals were done to finally allow YouView, (that is:- My5 All4 ITV Hub and iPlayer), to appear on the platform. My thesis is that YouView's agreement with Sony enforces digital rights management. Do you know different? What your little box from South Korea does, or does not, is largely irrelevant. But insofar as it adds another option for people to get round the restriction - it is helpful.

I, however, note that you are yet another whom attempts to destroy with your prose without offering any constructive propositions.

If  you have any worthwhile comment on the reasons why recoding is disallowed  on the Sony A80J platform- please let us hear it.