Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Str-1040 receiver - faulty on off button?

SOLVED
shieldsy64
Explorer

Sony Str-1040 receiver - faulty on off button?

I have had the Sony str-1040 amp for less than 2 years (22 months).

A few weeks ago when I switched on my receiver it kept on cycling through the machine "clearing" or factory reset menu (this normally kicks in if its depressed for more than 5 seconds).

This recently stopped, but has now started again.

I think that this is because the button is faulty/sticking.

In the period when it started working again, the amp setup menu would come on every time I turned on and had to be cancelled each time via the remote. All in all pretty painful for a non tech savvy wife and teenagers....

I have always generally used the remote to turn on/off the receiver so I'm surprised if the button has worn out so quickly.

I'll try blowing some compressed air on it this weekend, to see if that helps, but has anybody had the same problem or know of a solution?

Thanks Pete..

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@shieldsy64

I think I understand what might be happening now....

In your first post you said the following:-

"receiver kept on cycling through the machine "clearing" or factory reset menu (this normally kicks in if its depressed for more than 5 seconds)."

When this reset procedure is performed normally the receiver will reset itself back to factory defaults as if it were new. I believe the next time you turn on the receiver it will ask you to run through the initial setup again which might explain why the menu keeps appearing. Rather than dismissing this menu have you tried completing the setup procedure again to establish Network Settings and perform auto-calibration? Don't forget you need to also save these settings at the end of this procedure.

In your first post you also mentioned "In the period when it started working again, the amp setup menu would come on every time I turned on and had to be cancelled each time via the remote". 

If my first suspicions are correct and you keep cancelling the setup menu without performing the setup procedure this will continue to happen. Whilst I understand the problem might have been caused by a sticking ON/OFF button, if you think about it logically this sticking button has caused your receiver to be reset, the next step in the sequence would be to perform setup again.

Give setup another try and see if it solves the problem.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14

View solution in original post

shieldsy64
Explorer

Thanks MK_Slinky.

I went through the full setup and now my amp is working a treat.

The menu no longer appears.

I'lll just have to be carefull with the power button and use the remote from now on for turning off and on....

Thanks

Pete

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Whilst your cleaning out the dust on the AV Receiver, have a look at the buttons on the front of it too.

Also, as its going to the setup menu upon switching on, have a look at ALL the buttons on the remote control.  Maybe on or more of them is sticking down, which therefore loads the setup menu and is also causing the AV Reciever to not switch on - as another button is already being pressed down.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

In addition to what @Anonymous mentioned, try removing the batteries from the remote control before turning on your receiver to rule out a faulting remote.

Hopefully this isn't a common issue, I have an STR-DN1040 too. :thinking:

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
shieldsy64
Explorer

The air blasting of the machine's on/off button seemed to have cured the reseting option.

The easyset up menu appearing when it switches on persists.

I cleaned the remote and tried rebooting without the batteries out as suggested, but the problem remains and the press of the amp menu button n the remote to remove the menu remains.  

The machine is 23 months old, so unfortunately out of waranty. So not good, and whilst I can work around this problem it drives my family up the wall and the worry remains that something more catastrophic is on the horizon with this amp......

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@shieldsy64

I think I understand what might be happening now....

In your first post you said the following:-

"receiver kept on cycling through the machine "clearing" or factory reset menu (this normally kicks in if its depressed for more than 5 seconds)."

When this reset procedure is performed normally the receiver will reset itself back to factory defaults as if it were new. I believe the next time you turn on the receiver it will ask you to run through the initial setup again which might explain why the menu keeps appearing. Rather than dismissing this menu have you tried completing the setup procedure again to establish Network Settings and perform auto-calibration? Don't forget you need to also save these settings at the end of this procedure.

In your first post you also mentioned "In the period when it started working again, the amp setup menu would come on every time I turned on and had to be cancelled each time via the remote". 

If my first suspicions are correct and you keep cancelling the setup menu without performing the setup procedure this will continue to happen. Whilst I understand the problem might have been caused by a sticking ON/OFF button, if you think about it logically this sticking button has caused your receiver to be reset, the next step in the sequence would be to perform setup again.

Give setup another try and see if it solves the problem.

shieldsy64
Explorer

Thanks MK_Slinky.

I went through the full setup and now my amp is working a treat.

The menu no longer appears.

I'lll just have to be carefull with the power button and use the remote from now on for turning off and on....

Thanks

Pete

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Great job!

I'm glad my advice helped and you can once again enjoy your receiver. Best tell those teenagers of yours to wash their sticky hands next time. Movie snacks, sticky fingers, buttons, they're never a good mix! :laughing:

If you're feeling appreciative don't forget to give me some Kudos and maybe @Anonymous too! After all he did suggest using the air duster trick. Just click the little heart icon, top right of mine and Quinnicus's last reply. 

All the best! :wink: