Join now - be part of our community!

Which driver controls the FN key functions?

profile.country.en_GB.title
thather62
Visitor

Which driver controls the FN key functions?

Did a clean Re-install and now my FN key functions do not work which driver(s) do I need?

Sony Vaio VGN-NW20EF/S

Cheers

Tags (3)
25 REPLIES 25
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You need to install: -

From the Originally Installed Tab here: http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-NW20EF_S

1. Sony Shared Library

2. SFEP Driver

And from the Updates Tab here: http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-NW20EF_S

3. Setting Utility Series

4. Vaio Event Service

:wink:

thather62
Visitor

One problem how do i install the SFEP driver as it comes as a few small system files?

Message was edited by: thather62

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Before installing SFEP check in Device Manager under 'Human Interface  Devices' for the Sony Firmware Extension Parser driver. If its already  there then it is already installed and you can carry on installing the  other drivers and utilities in order.

1. If it is not there  open device manager and check for devices that Windows did not  automatically install.  Look for one either called 'Unknown Device' or  something like 'Intel LPC Device' with a yellow exclamation mark next to  it.

2. If you find this then right click the device and choose 'Properties' and then find the 'Details' tab.
3. In the drop down box one of the items will be Hardware ID.
4. Choose this option and make sure that the hardware ID is SNY5001.  Only if this ID matches you can now click the 'Drivers' tab and click to  'Install Driver' as normal.
5. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
6. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
7. Select Have Disk....
8. Select Browse....
9. Browse to your downloaded SFEP driver .inf file. (\\SFEP\SonyNC.INF)
10. Next ..........
11. If you get a warning screen, select "Install Anyway".
12. Close & Re-Boot
13. If it works, pour yourself a big drink!
14. Install any other uninstalled drivers.

15. Install the Sony Utilities (come back if you need help)

Good Luck

jaliley
Visitor

Hi I am having a similar difficultity with a bz21vn following a clean instal of win 7. I have downloaded the appropriate SFEP driver for model from site. Like the original enquirer I had no idea how to instal, though then I saw your most recent post on the subject.

I have checked device manager > human interface> and the Sony Firmware Ext Paser driver is present. In device manager the only other item i can see will a yellow exclaimation mark next to it is "base system device" under "other divces".

Accepting models will probably be different I can see no unknown devices listd or intel lCP device listed.]

Garteful if you can advise / help

Thanks

profile.country.nl_NL.title
jangrob
Visitor

Thanks for your helpful post! Now at least the sound volume keys work again! Does anyone have an idea on how I can get the screen brightness keys to work as well?

Thanks!

I need the Fn driver for a Windows 7 VGN-FZ290e notebook.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi rschreiber9,

This is not a European model. Try USA support site.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGNFZ290E&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/do...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

Hello, 

I'm having the same problem but I was unable to follow the link to intall the drivers from the links, I think it's because my Sony Vaio has been discontinued. But I was wondering if there was another way solve the issue.  

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi bluerosemary and welcome to the community,

If you provide your model name then someone will be able to point you in the correct direction for the necessary drivers.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat