Join now - be part of our community!

(Android 8.0 Oreo bug) XF9005 reboot automatically when turn on the TV in Oreo update

profile.country.GB.title
wuyuankai

(Android 8.0 Oreo bug) XF9005 reboot automatically when turn on the TV in Oreo update

Hi

I updated my TV to Oreo, it's working fine except that after a long period of standing by, when I turn the TV on, it will show the Home Screen for 1 sec, then it reboots it self, it shows Sony logo then Android logo animation, it taks 1 min or so to boot.

If I hit power to go to standby and turn it back on again, or in a short amount of time, it won't reboot itself, I only notice this after a long period of time of stand by, e.g. turn on TV next day, it will go to this boot cycle.

My setup:

XF9005 on Oreo V6.5830 android, connect Sonos Beam with ARC, connected to internet by Wifi

Sony could you confirm if this is a known bug in the update?

195 REPLIES 195
profile.country.US.title
Conodihno

that’s why I’ve been fighting this and letting things escalate with Sony. The arrogance that they show regarding this problem is of the charts. 

expecting to hear from them again on Monday. 

keep stalking them with email and every social media you can find. 

profile.country.GB.title
pautaylo4
Explorer

I came across this thread when trying to work out why my XF9005 would reboot more or less every morning. Just for the sake of completeness I have a Sonos Beam attached although I see that someone else with a Denon amplifier attached has the same problem. I have tried many of the "fixes" suggested here but none has made any difference.

There is clearly some evidence that the problem is related to the ARC facility in some way. As the TV has that facility, it is not good enough to tell people to disconnect devices to avoid a problem. It seems to me that whether the issue is software or hardware related is neither here nor there - it should still be covered by the warranty as the set is clearly not working in the way that it is marketed. I really would like to know that Sony are taking it seriously rather than, as appears to be the case, just shrugging their shoulders and calling it "one of those things".

I appreciate that this is only a users forum, but perhaps Sony employees glance at it now and again and could give some useful guidance. Perhaps they could explain how they intend to honour their warranty in respect of this widespread fault.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Unfortunately there is not such a thing as warranty on compatibility with other product. Arc and cec are not an official standard . This is why any manufacturer call it in a proprietary way (braviasync for sony anynet simplilink vieralink for other). Each manufacturer guarantees compatibility only with product of the same. This doesn't mean that your problem could be caused by other issues.
profile.country.US.title
Conodihno

Well, my reboot problems are over.

after months and months of complaining and sending them pictures of rebooting tv’s and being patient it’s done. They swapped my xe9005 for an xg9505 one. 

what a difference that makes. I’ve got the feeling that the xe models are lacking power to handle android tv and all the image processing options they’ve built in. 
XG model is acting like it has power to spare, no more skipping images, fluid as Fu@€ and menus working without any delay etc. 

still my last Sony because the me with this but for now it’s just fine.

profile.country.GB.title
Wardy277
Explorer

How did you get Sony to replace your tv? I have been in contact with them since december. We have tried so many steps now, factory resets, disabling feature (searsioply a way to fix an issue is to turn off features?). They call be about once per week to say they are still investigating

This is outrageous they they simple will not admit they broke my tv and expect me to just keep waiting. Are there any key words which i am missing, like some uk consumer act quote?

profile.country.GB.title
davidpow
Explorer

I have this same problem on my AG8. Did the latest software update (now running 6545) and if in standby for a few hours, TV goes through the full boot sequence when switching on. Spoke with Sony support who have now (after giving me the steps to go through to try and clear it, which didn't work) arranged for an engineer to visit. My concern is that this not a HW problem and they will take the TV away for repair without any idea what the problem really is (based on discussions on this thread!).

I love the picture quality on this TV, but really...all this over a SW update?

profile.country.GB.title
3smurf3

I do not think it is a hardware issue either. Totally a software issue.

I can honestly say, this has worked for me. I have not had a single reboot in months since I followed this:

Press home on your remote, then goto Channel setup/Digital setup/Guide setup/ and turn off 'update guide in standby'

The above may be enough, but to be thorough, I also turned off Channel setup/Digital setup/Guide setup/Technical setup/Auto service update and service replacement.

w1n6w0n6
Explorer

Thanks for the tip I will definitely give that a go! Just out of interest, what version of the software are you running and do you have anything plugged into ARC port?

profile.country.GB.title
3smurf3

I have a Sony KD-55XF9005 running version 8.0.0 of software.

I also have a Denon soundbar attached via ARC

I use to get reboots almost daily when switching the TV on,  and reading through the forums I thought it was an issue with ARC, but since I followed those guidelines I have not had a single problem.

w1n6w0n6
Explorer

I have the exact same tv and software.  The problem for me it seems is definitely to do with having my sound bar (sonos beam) plugged into the ARC port because if I plug it into the optical port then the problem disappears.  Anyway, I have  plugged it back into the ARC port and tried your suggestion let's see if that helps.  

Another thing I want to ask.  When you change volume does the volume bar react really slowly?